On a recent trip to China related to my wife’s business, I was able to do a quick tour of ITS like Traffic signage in and surrounding the City of Shanghai, now the largest metropolitan city in the world at 24 million people.
A few observations-
- Contrasting background on signs was both black and blue. Blue primarily in smaller signs
- Use of Graphic Reader Interface Panels for direction both on the freeway and in urban areas. Sometimes with an additional amber DMS with a supporting explanatory message to the GRIP sign
- Notable use of solar powered systems in the metro area despite infrastructure access.
- Parking availability signs are frequent in core downtown area as well in the financial district.
- Higher resolution signs in general, both in freeway and interurban settings.